Thursday 20 November 2014

What to do with those keepsakes?


...like your parents' wedding telegrams?

You decoupage the inside of an old trousseau kist with it, of course. 



I am sentimental, and a hoarder, the combination of which makes for horrific storage challenges.


I keep things.  I still have my nursery school blankie, a little test book from Sub A, my Baby Love doll, books since forever.  Heirlooms like my dad's 2.4 m tall grandfather clock, his desk chair, my gran's dinner bell, my other gran's ring from an Italian POW.  I keep not-so-logical things, like my dad's uniform cap with his rank insignia on, the old tea tins my mom used for her curtain hooks (as I do), my mom's beautiful Bally shoes (not my size), an old anvil that was among the last things on my dad's mind as he lay dying - I still don't know where it comes from or the reason for his obsession with it. So I keep it.

And then I had the box with cards and telegrams of congratulations hat my mom saved after their wedding in October 1969.  It travelled with me from Polokwane to Pretoria to Brisbane to Pretoria and as I prepared now to move again, something had to come of it.   

Luckily I remember a pic of a decoupaged something, so the plan was made:

1. Take mom's old trousseau kist, one of those sturdy-but-not-so-pretty ones with the lacquered surface, that you store the linen in.

2. Lightly sand it down and paint with a non-drip satin enamel in a much better looking bone white...

3...While also cleaning the clasps

4. Modge-podge for the first time in your life and almost make a big bugger-up (luckily modge-podge is very forgiving. And luckily the wrinkles do disappear. Laaaaater).




4.   Lightly sand it down again et voilà, one better looking kist.

I used the telegrams on the inside of the lid, and more-or-less matching gift wrap for the trunk.  By then I also discovered adhesive spray, to make things a bit easier.




The rotary cutter...I was contemplating those edges, wondering how in hell I was going to cut it straight, when luckily (again) a Pin came past, advising me to fold the paper flat over the edge, and literally sand it off.  Beautiful finish, straight as a ruler, and just modge over it again. 




Done, I'm happy, can almost re-pack it!



Now to the list of twenty other things to do before we pack
(I also procrastinate...)

Next up: one retro wire garden set to de-rust and repaint.


4 comments:

Jodiebodie said...

It looks fantastic Stel! You have done a great job with the whitewash and what a clever way to preserve the heirloom papers without the bulk.

Also, you have been nominated for a Liebster Award: http://lupeyloops.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/liebster-blog-award.html

I love your mix of craft stories, travel diaries and "other things you do" like decoupage today! I also appreciate the time you take to visit my blog and share your friendly ideas.

May this post find you well and have a happy day :-)

homemade@myplace said...

this is great and thoughtful at the same time!!!!!
brava Stel!!!!
xxxxxx Ale

Stel said...

Thank you! This was a good practice run for another project I want to tackle...no room for mistakes there, I'll have to get it right the first time.

Jodiebodie said...

Good luck, you must be on the right track.